There are a lot of teeth whitening products and services in the market today. With so many options, it can be hard to determine the best way to whiten your teeth. If you’re going to invest in teeth whitening, you want to make sure it is effective and worth the price.
So, in this post, we’ll discuss the essential features of whitening treatments that you need to know. Learn how teeth whitening works and its effects on your oral health.
How does teeth whitening work?
Teeth whitening treatments use hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide as a whitening agent to remove surface stains in your teeth. In a dental practice, these chemicals are applied in a more concentrated whitening gel form. Your dentist will use a blue light or UV light to activate the bleaching process of hydrogen peroxide.
Once active, hydrogen peroxide will penetrate the tooth enamel and start bleaching the deep-seated stains. Over-the-counter whitening strips, whitening kits, and other whitening toothpaste also work the same as professional teeth whitening treatments but with lighter doses of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
Teeth stains are caused by plaque buildup and tannins found in beverages like tea, soda, and wine. Commonly found in plants, tannins accumulated in the tooth enamel causes the yellowing of our teeth. Also, smoking is another cause of yellow or black stains in some patients.
Different ways to whiten your teeth
All of the teeth whitening products that we have today are classified into four categories. These include:
- Professional whitening treatments: These are whitening treatments done by dental professionals using a higher concentration of whitening gels and blue light to activate and speed up the tooth bleaching process. The treatment can last for 15 minutes to 30 minutes, depending on the recommendation of your dentist.
- Over-the-counter whitening products: All the whitening products available in drugstores or supermarkets, including whitening strips and toothpaste, fall under this category. They are also effective in whitening your teeth but may require frequent use to achieve lighter shades.
Improper use of these products may damage your teeth by damaging your tooth enamel. Use these teeth whitening products with caution and ask your dentist before adding them to your oral care routine.
- At-home kits and whitening trays: These are the products usually recommended by dentists for home care after your professional teeth whitening treatment. At-home kits are used to maintain and extend the lighter shade of your teeth at home.
- Natural teeth whiteners: Natural whiteners are known to reduce plaque buildup and serves as a mild abrasive to scrub teeth stains. Natural ways to whiten your teeth include:
- Eating fibrous fruits and vegetables
- Baking soda
- Frequent brushing and flossing
- Using straws in drinking teeth-staining foods and drinks
Can teeth whitening treatments ruin your teeth?
According to Dr. Edmond R. Hewlett of the American Dental Association, teeth whitening treatments and products may remove some minerals from your teeth. The demineralization process will expose some parts of your dentin to temperatures and cause ‘transient sensitivity’ or temporary sensitive teeth.
However, it will fade away once you stop having the whitening treatment. The lost minerals in our teeth are also replaced through our diet and water intake.
Professional whitening treatments vs. teeth whitening products
Both whitening treatments and products can whiten your teeth but only to a certain degree. Professional teeth whitening treatments use a more concentrated whitening gel that can whiten your teeth for 6 to 8 shades lighter.
OTC whitening products require continuous use to achieve 2 to 3 shades lighter teeth. Also, using some whitening products without the advice of a dentist can damage your teeth. Too much use of products with hydrogen peroxide on your teeth can break down the tooth enamel which is the protective layer of our teeth.
Achieve a brighter smile and glow up this 2021 with Build-A-Smile in Charlotte
A beautiful smile is one of the most underrated assets of our face. Smile often, and let a teeth whitening treatment transform your look and get an instant glow up this year. Build-A-Smile is a top-rated teeth whitening treatment provider in Charlotte that provides beaming white teeth whitening treatment. Schedule an appointment now and let us help you achieve your dream makeover.